Monday, October 27, 2008

Photographer Alex M. Smith










Homeless Relief Workers
20" x 24" $250


Lawless High School Gym
20" x 24" SOLD






Vigel, Former 9th Ward resident
20" x 24" SOLD










ALEX M. SMITH

I went to New Orleans about nine months after hurricane Katrina. I really had no idea what to expect in terms of the remaining damage or the state of the people. Was I in America? Nearly a whole year had gone by and it appeared that the hurricane had occurred just a few days ago. There had been no visible effort to fix things. Aside from the few people working on their homes or others trying to turn a profit off of rusty metal they had stripped from cars, the ninth ward was completely deserted. Many rumors had surfaced of the city taking the land and re-selling it, but despite this, the majority of the people I encountered were set on staying. The people I met in New Orleans had a certain bond and pride that I have yet to come across again in my life.

www.asisfoto.com



No comments: