Monday, October 27, 2008

Photographer Lani Bouwer









Perpetual Care 2008
20" x 24" $250



Blue Backboard 2008
20" x 24" $250



Preservation Hall 2008
20" x 24" $250



LANI BOUWER

Three years after the Hurricane hit, I visited New Orleans. The remnants of the destruction, the houses still damaged or destroyed, businesses that will never re-open, and the people living in the tent city right next to the center of town. It was a poignant and moving experience to see the evidence of how our government failed its own people and the trauma still so raw to New Orleans’ people. What amazed me about New Orleans was it’s resilience. People so proud of their city, changed forever but with spirit so strong you could almost breathe it in.

A visit to the street festival was full of color, noise, music, and people out for celebration. Yet the moments I felt the most connected to New Orleans, were the moments when I was alone. The stories were being whispered in my ear as I wandered through old graveyards, read in parks, listened to jazz. The slow decay of old structures caused by time, the vestiges of human touch long past, the sounds that graced the interiors of old buildings long before I was alive. The mystery and hints of times past are what captivated me in New Orleans.


www.lanibouwer.blogspot.com

No comments: