Monday, October 27, 2008

Photographer Orrie King




"Bus, New Orleans 2008"
16"x 20" SOLD






"Street Signs, New Orleans 2008"
16" x 20" SOLD






"Roof, New Orleans 2008"
16" x 20" $250












ORRIE KING

I visited New Orleans for the first time this past February. I was invited to document the ongoing cleanup efforts, accompanying a group of high school students from the Beacon School in NYC. While there, I witnessed the devastation and destruction that Katrina left in its path. The impact of seeing these conditions in person, of complete neighborhoods torn apart and abandoned, was chilling. I met people throughout the city, particularly a group of residents and volunteers working together to rebuild the Lower 9th Ward.

Impressed by the resilience of the people that I met and in support of their ongoing efforts, I present to you the exhibition and fundraiser, “Rebuilding New Orleans”. Together, with 9 other artists whom I have chosen, we will auction our work with 100% of the proceeds from sales benefiting lowernine.org.

They are a group of people that are actively working, making a difference where help is still needed.


-Orrie King (photographer and curator)

www.orrieking.com

No comments: