Monday, October 27, 2008

Photographer Carla Shapiro


Regrets and Possibilities, New Orleans, Slidell Apartment 2006
20"x 24" $250







Regrets and Possibilities, New Orleans, Lower Ninth Ward, Wardrobe 2006
20"x 24" SOLD









CARLA SHAPIRO

I search for deserted houses that are dilapidated, crumbling, flooded or burned out. Their stillness has a mystery that attracts me, their structure a worn splendor. These buildings have both charisma and decay. I fill rooms with furniture, pictures, and flowers eliminating the emptiness but accentuating the loneliness. I move life and soul into barren rooms, fresh hope into an abandoned house.

I search for vacant structures, move in, set up, and photograph. My furniture creates potential in the barren space, dichotomizes new and old, strong and fragile, protective and dangerous. I have created mementos of what might have been in a former time. We have entered into an era of nostalgia because realities are so disturbing.

I photograph houses that are empty or filled with belongings covered in mud and mildew. There is sadness in what is, and hope in what can change.

www.carlashapiro.com


No comments: